Friday 2 May 2008

Angels


Yesterday I was talking to a friend also running Eugene. We came up with the concept of Marathon Angels. The only other person I know who really has looked into the angel phenomenon is my sister's friend who wrote a PhD thesis and then I think, a book about them. My experience was last year at the inaugural Eugene Marathon. The last mile consisted of a loop around the back of Autzen Stadium which just happened to turn into a wind tunnel that day. A long-legged 'real runner' wearing proper racing kit appeared from nowhere all of a sudden, tucked in front of me and called out over his shoulder for me to follow him...draft off him! He kept checking over his shoulder to make sure that his pace matched my crippled slow shuffle, he saved me! At some point the wind subsided and he zoomed off. R didn't see him cross the finish...he couldn't possibly have been finishing in the slow set anyway. I didn't see him again.
My friend told me about someone she knew who had a similar experience with a guy who just found her and chatted to her through the last two miles when she had been ready to give-up. She crossed the finish line, looked around and he was gone! Well, I hope there is an angel sent for me on Sunday if I need one again.
Just a few more things to pack and then I'm ready to pick up all my people and head down to the deep southern part of Oregon. Can't wait to see N and D down in Little Fall Creek. The boys are beside themselves with excitement.

No comments: