Wednesday 19 March 2008

Dogs


Back at home, anybody reading this might think I'm going to tell you about ugly girls but no I am going to write a few lines about the fluffy four-legged variety. It surprised me a few weeks ago when J, after having known his mother for over nine years, calmly informed me that I don't really like animals/pets. I thought long and hard about why his once 'I want to be a vet' turned zoologist/biologist parent could have given him such an impression. Finally I came to the conclusion that I rarely point out the lovely creatures around us anymore since there are such a huge number of dogs with parents that just haven't brought them up very well. I've tried to redress the balance in my comments in front of J now. Then of course this morning I decide to do the Greenlake loop. 8.5 miles or thereabouts. A bunch of hills on the way and the same bunch on the way back. I arrived at the lake at around 6:10 am...still dark. As I started to run along the inner (shorter path) there were a fair number of people walking or running towards me each with at least one canine friend and perhaps one or more human friends (plus their canines...you get the picture?) too. I ask you, is it too much to ask that they keep the dogs on a leash that is shorter than the entire circumference of the lake. Needless to say that with all the detours around the pooches I probably ran more than 8.5 this morning. You'll be proud of me, I didn't use any 'square' words out loud.

No comments: